Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Annie!

Yesterday was my sister Annie's birthday. To celebrate her special day, we all went into town and shopped in some backpacking stores. Annie really likes to look at backpacking gear. We tried on packs, tested trekking poles, and laughed at the variety of unusual freeze-dried, vacuum-packed hiker food. When I read the titles of some of that food, I realized that hikers aren't a picky bunch. I'd have to get pretty hungry to eat packaged, powdered, no-bake cheesecake on the trail, not to mention the dehydrated navy beans and salt pork. We don't do hiker food. The rest of the hiking gear was really interesting. I liked looking at kayaks. Annie admired the Camelbak hydration packs.

After we went shopping, we went out to eat at one of Annie's favorite restaurants. Then we headed home and had dairy-free ice cream sundaes with chocolate and caramel syrups, bananas, dried mango, and dried figs. It was good! The activity for the evening was an old Western movie. I think Annie had a good birthday.

Buddy may not be very pleased with my gift to Annie. I gave her a set of horse clippers and a bunch of grooming supplies. Now he'll have to become beautiful. We'll see what he thinks of being clipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment