Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What a Lovely Day

We have had some truly beautiful weather here in the last few days. I'm thankful for the bright sunshine, blue sky, and light breezes, as well as for the warmer temperatures. I think our garden is confused. Not long ago, it was below freezing, and now it is in the 60s! The poor veggies don't know whether to give up and die or live and thrive. I was able to harvest some collards, broccoli, and rutabagas this morning. I think we will eat some of them for lunch.


My summer garden seedlings have come up. I am having a good time trying some new tips on seed starting, and God has really blessed our gardening efforts. In the pictures, you can see our very professional seed trays, which are made of two cake pan lids and some cardboard, and the shoe tray beneath them that protects the table. Fancy! It seems to work well, however. At least I don't have to wonder which tomato is which. We put the seed trays in our sewing room, because we can keep that door closed. That means the cats (a seed-starter's worst enemies) cannot sleep in them, chew the seedlings, or make a litter box out of the dirt. I am determined to keep the furry marauders out of my tomatoes this year.



Here is a picture of Miss Bunny, the Pit Bull, in her cosy coat. She is the happiest dog around. That blanket has kept her quite warm. However, since Bunny leads a very active life, she keeps getting tripped up by her new clothes. She goes tumbling head over heels many times while she is wearing her coat. Does it bother her? Not a bit. She just picks herself up and keeps on running (and leaping, and jumping, and hopping....).



Today's memory verse is 1 Peter 1:15.

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation. 1 Peter 1:15 KJV

1 comment:

  1. That is a very clever idea, with the seed trays! I don't have enough sunny windows to do the same, but if I did, I would use your ideas!

    I AM SO EXCITED to see ALL OF YOU!!! Counting the days, and it officially down to 1 week!!!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete