Thursday, December 30, 2010

I'm Back!

We drove up to Oklahoma to visit Momma's family for Christmas.  It was a whirlwind trip.  We left early on Thursday morning and returned on Sunday.  It was so good to see everyone and spend time together.  Annie and I hoped for a big snowstorm so that we could play in the snow, but the weather didn't oblige us.  Annie did report a few snow flurries on Christmas morning. 

When we arrived home on Sunday evening, chaos greeted us.  The cats had stayed in the house while we were gone, and they made the most of their unsupervised time with the Christmas decorations.  Ornaments had been ripped from the tree and shredded  on the floor.  Some kitty sat in the middle of a potted poinsettia and squished it.  We found some of our miniature ornaments hidden under the couch, and there were little paw prints all over the forbidden tables and counters.  I suppose the cats got bored...

On the Tuesday before our trip, we had a little girl over to ride the horses.  I put her on Peg, and we went for a pony ride all over the property.  Afterwards, I was cleaning out Peg's feet when I noticed a nail protruding from the sole of his back left hoof!  I groaned inwardly, because he is just recovering from the abscess in his back right hoof.  I removed the nail, which turned out to be the axle and one wheel from a little toy car, of all things.  I knew that I needed to act quickly to avoid another abscess, so I called the vet.  He told me to administer an intramuscular tetanus shot, put Peg on antibiotics, and soak his hoof daily (we are getting lots of practice with that).  I called my good friend Rebecca to ask her to pray for Peg, since I wouldn't be able to soak him while I was in OK.  She saved the day by offering to come and take care of my boy during my absence.  It takes a good friend to come and care for your horse on Christmas day!  I was so thankful.  Peg seems to be fine, and I don't think the puncture will affect him at all.  We are, however, learning that Peg is a trouble magnet.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you had a good trip! - And that Peg's okay! Sorry you didn't get any snow. :( I'd gladly send you some! :)

    ReplyDelete