Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The American Quarter Horse Museum


On the way up to Fort Collins, we stopped at the American Quarter Horse Museum in Amarillo, TX.  Being Quarter Horse lovers and owners,  we really enjoyed exploring the museum!  In front of the building were displayed several larger-than-life bronze statues of different riding disciplines and horses influential to the breed.  They were beautiful, and we had fun studying the details and reading the plaques at their bases.


This is the statue that greeted us as we entered the museum.  This larger-than-life sculpture depicts the ideal Quarter Horse. (We thought it resembled our gelding, Rusty.)


We enjoyed our visit to the museum, but not only because of its horsey theme.  The building is truly beautiful with its stone columns, stained wood, and soaring ceiling.  An extra special part of our tour was that the annual "America's Horse in Art" exhibit and show was on display at the time.  I saw so many pieces that I wanted to take home with me, but they were all too expensive. :(

There was a grand hall (pictured above) with photographs of all the equine and human hall-of-fame inductees displayed along the side walls. We found many of our horses' ancestors in the hall of fame.  On the floor, the foundation bloodlines of the Quarter Horse breed were mapped out in a giant chart on which I had fun tracing out Poco's ancestry.

There were displays from the Quarter Horse's colorful history on both floors, including a fully equipped chuck wagon and many saddles of various styles, ages, and functions.  The timeline for the breed, with pictures and interesting facts, was fascinating to me.

The museum had a large children's room with interactive exhibits to help teach kids about horses.  It had booths with grooming tools, saddles, feed, and horse videos.  Even though I am not a child, I admit to having fun with all of it.  But of course, I am pretty horsey. ;)

I am so thankful that we were able to see the museum.  I didn't think I would ever get the chance to do so, and it more than met my expectations.  If you are ever passing through Amarillo, I would definitely recommend touring the American Quarter Horse Museum.

1 comment:

  1. Wow . . . the Quarter Horse Museum looks like it was fun!!! Next time we pass through maybe we can stop and see it. :)
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete