Tuesday, July 6, 2010

EPM - Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis

Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, or EPM, is a serious disease that affects the brain and spinal cord of the horse. It is transmitted by possums, and it causes muscle wasting, droopy ears and eyelids, loss of coordination, paralysis, and death. The progression of the disease can be rapid, taking less that three days to kill a horse. I always hoped that I would never have to deal with EPM.

On Sunday morning, as we were all getting ready to leave for church, we received a call from our neighbor, Ms. Rae. She was concerned because Jasmine, the yearling filly, had suddenly fallen down three times that morning. After a lightning fast change from church-going clothes to horse clothes, Momma drove Annie and me to Ms. Rae's house. I was praying hard, because I was afraid Jazzy might have West Nile virus or EPM.

After examining Jazzy, Annie and I agreed that she was exhibiting symptoms of neurological problems. Ms. Rae decided to call the vet, and we went home, changed back into our church clothes, and went on to church. After church, I called Ms. Rae to find out what the vet said. She told me that the vet diagnosed Jazzy's problem as EPM, but thankfully it was in an early stage. The vet was able to give an IV drip to prevent the further progression of the disease. The medicine that can cure EPM was not on hand, but it should be available today.

We are all thankful that Jazzy has such a good chance of recovery. If God had not allowed Ms. Rae to be late going out to feed, she would not have seen Jazzy fall down. By the time her problem was noticed, it could have been too late to save her. Now, she is getting treatment and responding well to it. Jazzy's balance and droopiness has already improved. Praise the Lord!

We are off to Oklahoma to visit our family tomorrow. It should be a really fun time. I cannot wait to see everyone. We will be gone through Sunday, and our kind neighbors will care for our animals again. I hope all the critters behave themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes; that stuff is so scary. We had some friends who had horses with it a few years back. It almost seems like it affected humans too...? I don't remember now. I'm so glad you guys identified it quickly.
    I hope you have a great trip to OK! We're heading out to see our family in KY in a few hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,

    I am glad to hear the update about Jasmine. How wonderful that it isn't any worse!!

    Is that a recent picture of Jasmine? If so, then she has changed a LOT since I last saw her! :) :)

    ReplyDelete