Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Destruction and Repair

I have mentioned in a previous post how Jack likes to scratch and rub on things, which often results in the destruction of whatever he rubs on. His most recent act of itchy demolition was in the barn, in Peg's stall. Peg and Jack share a pen behind the barn that connects the two stalls, so they switch places frequently. Jack apparently got an itch while he was dozing in Peg's corner, and he leaned with all his considerable weight and strength against the plywood wall. This caused all the nails in that section of plywood to be pulled through the wood. The sheet of plywood was hanging loose, like a curtain, from the top nails. Very interesting!
What an innocent face!
I took it upon myself to fix the damage today. It was raining a bit, but I wanted to cross the task off my list. Out I went, and I got started. The boys (Peg and Jack) were in residence, so I was expecting some amusement during my work. They always think it is great fun to "help" me do things. However, Jack hates getting wet. He stood in his stall and ignored me entirely.

Peg dutifully stood beside me and watched each stroke of the hammer as I nailed the siding back in place. When I had to crouch down to put in the last nail, he put his head down to get a better look. I offered him the hammer and told him to help me. Peg took the hammer and swung it a few times, but he apparently thought it was more fun to watch than to work.
"Am I swinging it right?"
He gave it back to me. In the meantime, it had begun to rain hard. I told Peg that I was getting too wet to stand out there anymore, and I went into his stall for shelter. He had only been standing in the rain because I was, so he came in, too. Peg always makes my jobs in the barn more fun. He is great company. I am so thankful that God has given me such a special horse!

4 comments:

  1. That last picture is really cute! :)I never would have conceived the idea of a horse using a hammer. :) :) :)
    From the carpenter's daughter side of view, I hope that the repair job lasts through Jack's other adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I had to re-attach another sheet of plywood this morning. I decided to keep the hammer in the barn where it is handy...

    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure which is worse when it comes to horses - scratchers or cribbers... Whether they're eating the barn or knocking it down, they can be pretty destructive little critters can't they?! So sweet of Peg to help you repair the damage. :)

    ReplyDelete