Saturday, August 28, 2010

Nancy

We have a new little friend at our house.  Her name is Nancy, and she is an eight-week-old kitten.  Nancy made her presence known to Daddy and Momma as they were taking a walk down our road on Tuesday evening.  She meowed to them from the ditch on the side of the road, and proceeded to stroll out to meet them.  Momma and Daddy were quite surprised, because that is very unusual behavior for a wild kitten like Nancy.  She allowed Momma to pick her up and even began to purr. What can a cat-lover do when faced with such a tiny, lovable kitten?  They carried her home with them.

Nancy has continued to be one of the sweetest kittens that I have ever known.  She climbed into Daddy's lap on her first evening with us and then went to sleep.  She is an excellent napping buddy and prefers to snuggle up right on one's chest.  She is not afraid of people in the least, and none of our noises or activities bother her.  Nancy wants to be in the middle of whatever is happening.  She also possesses the essential skill of using her litterbox. 

The only drawback to Nancy's presence among us is that our other cats object strongly to a new kitty.  She isn't thrilled with them, either.  She growls and hisses when one of the other cats approaches her.  We hope that they will make peace soon.  In the meantime, Nancy amuses herself by playing with the dogs' tails. She has no problems with canine company. 

We have not officially decided to keep Nancy as yet, but if no suitable home can be found, she will enter the ranks of our pets and be added to the menagerie.  I love her already.

On another note, Peg had a return of lameness from his abscess.  It had not drained fully, so we had the vet out to open it up. Now I have started the round of treatment all over again.  He is pretty tired of the hoof-soaking routine, and he is making me aware of that fact.  He likes to kick the soaking bucket and spill its contents over the floor.  Peg has also become adept at removing his hoof wrap and packing the hole in his foot full of manure and dirt.  I am ready for this treatment to be over!  However, I am grateful that he is healing nicely, and I am glad that his injury was only an abscess and not a joint problem.  I have seen horses crippled with arthritis and other such conditions, and I can't complain about Peg's problems.  His injury is only temporary.

2 comments:

  1. Aww; what a cutie! I thought of you the other day, while I was dealing with a sheep with (what I believe to be) an abcessed hoof, or the sheep equivalent... Not much fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the name Nancy for a cat. Good choice! I hope she starts to fit in, if she's still there.

    ReplyDelete