Monday, March 29, 2010

Lessons From a Horse

One of the things that working with the horses has shown me is that I am a somewhat impatient person. I knew that I occasionally became impatient with my family, but it never struck me as a big problem. It is easy to focus on what the other person is doing wrong when there is a problem, instead of on myself. When I am training a horse, however, what goes wrong is clearly due to me. For example, as I teach Jack to turn on cue, I will respond to his awkward attempts and protests in the correct manner 15 times. Then, when he still hasn't figured it out on the 16th try, I may jerk his head around and force him to obey. This is wrong, and I've just taught him that the 15 gentle responses meant nothing. He can't trust me and yield his tender mouth to my control if he thinks I'm going to pull hard without warning. In the same way, if I am sometimes impatient with my family, I cannot build a true, close relationship with them.

I don't want my horses to be unable to trust me, and I don't want to use my relationship with them to foster sinful attitudes in my heart. As I have made an effort to deal patiently with them at all times, I have begun to learn to be patient in my interactions with my family as well. I am thankful for the lessons that God is teaching me through my horses. I have a long way to go, but He is still working on me. It is good to know that He never gives up on me.

Here is the Scripture of the day.

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV

1 comment:

  1. Jill, I think patience is one of the hardest character qualities we face on an everyday basis. Wait until you have children, the Lord will really test you then. Being aware of your impatience is a very mature step to take and I am proud of you! I have no doubt you will become more patient each day!

    Did your dad's trick to rid the bats, work?

    ReplyDelete