Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Best Dog

My precious Abby
I have been inspired to write in praise of my dog, Abby.  In my opinion, Abby is the very best dog in the world.  For those who don't know her, she is a 12-year-old Golden Retriever.  Abby is my loyal sidekick, and her loyalty and desire to protect us is sweet.  She is my faithful companion wherever I walk, and she never fails to be with me as I go about my outside tasks for the day. 

During the summer, Abby stalks ahead of us into the blackberry patch and warns us of the presence of snakes.  It is understood that all the blackberries on Abby's level belong to her.  She eats quite a few berries in the path of duty. 

Abby is always patient with the young folks who come her way.  They can pull her fur, lay on her, and even cover her in sawdust, and she will never so much as growl.  However, if they have food, she will relieve them of it.  Abby considers it one of her duties to make sure that children on our property are supervised.  She has been known to sit beside a stroller all afternoon, and she will walk around with the smallest child on the property. 

I recently began running for exercise on a path encircling our land, and Abby does her very best to accompany me.  She delights in being with me, and I love having her by my side, though she tires quickly. 

She is gentle with our pesky cats, and she will even defend them from other cats if needed.  Abby has developed a particularly close bond with our oldest cat, Aaron.  You can often catch them napping together in the sunshine.  Abby is fond of rough-housing with her little sidekick, Bunny.  They play hard, and they are good friends.

Abby is also a good watchdog.  She is good at alerting us to "intruders."  Once we tell Abby that a visitor is friendly, she greets them ecstatically, but if a stranger approaches Abby puts on her scary dog face and barks and growls.

I cannot imagine what it would be like without that dog.  She is such a big part of my day, such a constant furry friend.  Sometimes, we allow her into the house, and she and I both enjoy that.  Abby is very good company.  If I call her name, she wags her tail and looks at me.

As far as I am concerned, there is no better dog anywhere.  I think Abby is great, and when the sad day comes, I hope I can find another dog half as good as she is.  Abby leaves love in my heart... and hair all over the floor.  What more can I say?  Abby, I love you!!

2 comments:

  1. Jill - this post is making me cry! I am so thrilled that Abby has blessed you this deeply! I knew you would love her, but had no idea how close you would become!!! Thank you for beig the best dog owner on the planet!! Give her a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Elizabeth, for blessing me with Abby. I'll give her a big hug. I hope you can come down and visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete