Thursday, February 10, 2011

An Update on Ginger's Progress and Other Things

Our little project horse, Ginger, is doing well with us, and we have definitely become attached to her.  I am currently responsible for her care, and I just love her.  I have always enjoyed the company of mares, and Ginger is one of the most demonstrative horses I have ever met. 

We are all anxiously awaiting shedding season and its effect on our little painted hairball.  I think Ginger will be a lovely little mare when she finally loses her winter woollies.  Of course, we think she's pretty now...

In about three weeks, we'll be able to ride Ginger for the first time.  Her training has gone very well up to this point.  Annie and I have done some groundwork with the bit and bridle, and Ginger is quite accepting of her training sessions.  She can be saddled up, and she is comfortable with a rider standing up in one stirrup and even leaning over her back.

Our garden is not very presentable at the moment.  As usual, the weather this time of year has turned everything into thick mud.  We can't get out there to weed, so there are quite a few "extras" in among the desirable plants.  However, the strawberries are doing well and blooming, which means we have to be out there covering them every time it freezes.  I am looking forward to reaping the fruits of our labors come spring.  I am planning for our summer garden, and I have had great success with my seed-starting efforts this year. 

I started the program of study to become a NARHA certified therapeutic riding instructor, and I am really enjoying it.  Another girl is studying with me, and I am sure we will be good friends.  I'll have to pass a riding test to be certified, so I need a few riding lessons.  Peg and I need to improve our skills.

Speaking of Peg, he had been diagnosed with arthritis in his knees, hocks, and fetlocks.  The vet should be able to treat him and make him as good as new, which is such a blessing.  Peg did make a complete recovery from his hoof abscess, and I started him on his first allergy shots about a week ago.  He is taking that very well.

Annie is going to the Symphony this evening with her piano teacher.  She is excited, and I know she'll enjoy it.  It should be a memorable experience.

2 comments:

  1. I love your newsy blog! Your studying to be a riding instructor is especially exciting. Hope we get to visit soon.
    Much love
    Aunt Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I got my first edition of Everyday Food, and I already cooked something from it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete