Monday, February 21, 2011

Ginger's First Ride

 This afternoon, I rode Gingersnap for the first time.  We took our time grooming and saddling up.  I wanted to create a very relaxed mood and make sure Ginger was thoroughly comfortable with me and with her saddle.  She was a good girl, and she took everything well.  Momma and Annie came out to watch us and take pictures for me.

Saddling up
We moved into the round pen for some longeing and groundwork.  Ginger showed her bronco side for a brief second during her longeing session with a few fancy moves, but she quickly settled back down.  I put the bit in her mouth and worked her with it for a little while, and then I decided it was time to mount up.

I stood in the stirrup several times, then swung my leg over Ginger's back and settled into the saddle.  She was as calm as she could be, and she stood perfectly still.  I tried to get her to walk on by bumping her with my legs, but I changed my mind and decided to use the rein instead.  I picked up my right rein and held slight pressure until Ginger stepped to the right.  I then did the same to the left.  We worked on that for a bit, and then I noticed the neighbor's dog sneaking around in the bushes adjacent to the round pen.  Ginger thinks that dog is fun to run and buck with.  I didn't want to end our first ride by being bucked off, nor did I want Ginger to have a scare on her first ride.  Since we had done so well and achieved our goal of a safe first ride, I dismounted. 

After our ride
We continued to do a bit of groundwork, and after a while we called it a day.  I took Ginger back to the barn, removed her saddle, and hosed the sweat off of her coat.  I am very pleased with Ginger's behavior.  She remained so calm and happy throughout our ride, and and she almost went to sleep after I dismounted.  She is such a sweetie.  I can't wait to ride her again.  God really blessed us with safe and pleasant training session.  Ginger is a true gift from Him.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited to read about your first ride with Ginger!! The first "Big Day" has already come and gone for her - and with flying colors! That is such a blessing! I pray that her training continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete