Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Escape

It was my fault. I opened the stall doors in our horse barn so that it could air out, and I left them open for the afternoon. While I was in the house, the wind blew one of the doors shut. The forecast called for heavy rain during the night, so Annie and I brought everybody into the barn for the night. Since Poco's door had blown shut, I forgot that I had opened it. We went on with our evening chores of feeding, watering, and giving out hay, then hurried indoors for supper. In the middle of the night, as the rain poured down and the wind blew gustily, Poco's door came open. She merrily splashed out into the weather and apparently had a good time with her freedom. She was grazing along our back garden area this morning. That mare! When I called her to come in for breakfast, she came as if it was perfectly normal for her to be out all night. Poco had an air of smug satisfaction as she strolled into her stall this morning. I could just see her telling the other horses, "I got to be free all night and you didn't." That is the kind of horse she is.


Although I wouldn't have chosen to leave Poco out, it was nice not to have to clean her stall this morning. She has a knack for leaving the worst, muckiest stall in the barn. It was probably healthier for her, as well. She's battling a minor eye irritation, and the dust of the barn doesn't help. I am thankful that Poco didn't get herself in trouble last night, and I am determined to close her door in future!

No comments:

Post a Comment