Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October showers bring...mud!

It has rained almost every day since I put in the garden. The seeds and transplants love it, but unfortunately so do the weeds. They are popping up everywhere in an effort to thwart my veggie-growing. Therefore it is crucial that I go out every day and pull weeds. Sounds easy, right? When newly tilled and rowed ground gets saturated with water, the mud that results is an aggressive, shoe-eating beast! It has sucked off my shoes several times, which, as they are old and probably belong in the trash (to put it mildly), is not terribly hard to do. Then, to avoid falling into said mud, I have to catch hold of the fence. Thankfully, today Momma and Annie were able to help with the weeding. When engaged in the weed war I am watched with obvious interest by Poco, Rusty, Abby, and Spunkabitty. My most dedicated garden companion is Bitty. He chases the weeds as I throw them out of the garden, and sometimes he lands in a mud puddle himself. Then he wants to come inside and sleep on the furniture, but we don't allow that until he cleans up. Bunny amuses herself by walking along the garden rows and sitting on the transplants. We trained Abby to stay out of the garden, because she likes to help herself to the produce.

I haven't posted memory verses because we've been memorising the books of the Bible. However, we're through with that now, so here is today's Scripture.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment